Thursday, August 21, 2008

Cracked Glass Butterfly

I found these goodies at Joann's last Wednesday. I finally made a card with some of it this Wednesday night. It's a line called Cloud 9 by Fiskars. They have coordinating papers, stickers, die-cuts and photo mats. I also found some KI Memories mini rolls of self-adhesive ribbon that matches. :)


I tried to make this card sort of shabby chic by inking the paper edges and surface. The Ruby Red piece was run through my Cuttlebug with my new embossing folder. I also did the Cracked Glass technique on the butterfly. See more on that below...

Here's a close-up. I traced the butterfly shape onto the yellow photo mat, cut it out and colored the center with a marker. I then added three layers of the chunky clear embossing powder over the whole surface of the butterfly. Just ink the paper with Versamark and heat emboss the surface with the chunky clear embossing powder. Let cool a bit, then repeat two more times. The trick for the cracked glass look is to put the piece in the freezer for about 15 minutes. Crack it as soon as you take it out of the freezer for the best look. I then added ink over the surface and rubbed it into the cracks. Make sense? A little somethin' different...


This clear acrylic butterfly shape is what I used as a template. It's actually still got its clear protective sheets on each side, but it was laying on my craft table and struck me as a great thing to trace. I'll use it someday on a scrapbook page.

I had a good Wednesday. I took Wanda to get her new glasses adjusted, got groceries and my hair cut/colored. We had a homemade pizza for supper and I ended up at my craft table while doing laundry. It's now about 12:30am Thursday morning and I need to get to bed! Have a great day and thanks for stopping by...

No comments: