Thursday, May 22, 2008

Poppin' Pastels Step-by-Step

The Poppin' Pastels technique is easy and fun. It always gets a "wow" from workshop guests. Images magically appear on the paper once you apply the pastels. Here's how:

Apply Versamark ink to rubber stamp or wheel.
Stamp or roll inked image onto light-colored cardstock. I used Whisper White here.
The wet ink will appear only slightly and will be shiny. I think the ink is actually appearing a bit darker than usual in this photo. Yours may be more "invisible".
IMPORTANT STEP: Dry ink using heat tool. This will allow the ink to become less shiny and not quite as tacky. The pastels will still stick, but this step will eliminate smudging or smearing.
Use sponge dauber or inexpensive makeup applicator to apply chalk colors. In the next two photos, you'll see how I applied three different colors and blended the edges. Once finished, I tore the bottom edge of the cardstock before adhering to the card front.
Here are two more versions of the sketch I used for the more basic card I demonstrated at the workshop. You can take a simpler sketch and "kick it up a notch" quite easily. For more info and to see these close-up, visit my Splitcoaststampers gallery HERE.
Try this technique and if you do, e-mail a pic of your card or send me a link to your blog post showing your creation. Enjoy!

No comments: