Sunday, June 21, 2009

Father's Day

We went to my parents' house this evening. Rhonda and I made an italian dinner of lasagna, chopped salad, bread and dessert. Steve had to work so he didn't eat with us, but stopped by briefly. I gave my dad this handmade keepsake about favorite memories of him, plus some car wash gift certificates and a squirrel-proof bird feeder. He loves a clean car and loves to feed the birds. :)
I had a happy accident when I made this. I intended to cut the chipboard piece into two pieces. I measured 6 inches from each end and cut it in my paper cutter. Instead I got a nicely scored "book" piece and I was thrilled with it! I sanded the metal "memories" piece and painted it with olive green acrylic paint, stamped a couple words, wrote "of" with my journaling pen and inked some chipboard letters. I added all that to the die-cut shape and added two eyelets. I adhered the whole piece with sticky strip and glue dots.
I wrote a letter on the inside left and made a pocket on the right to hold the strips of paper where I wrote some favorite memories. I inked the edges of all the cardstock and added some eyelets and hemp twine so he could easily pull each one out to read it. I told him to read it when his eyes felt dry. LOL! I sure cried some happy tears as I made this. *sniffle* I am so blessed to have the parents I do! This is the book opened flat. I added some stamped messages on the back as well as the date. The spine is covered using a strip of patterned paper. It is the pattern on the back side of the striped paper.
Here's my sweet dad after his belly was full of yummy food and holding his goodies. :) Love you, Dad! Happy Father's Day!

1 comment:

Connie said...

And don't forget the ballpoint pen in his pocket. lol