Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Custom Glittered Brads

On Sunday night, I created two more cards. This one needed a brad to match the glittered accents on the card, so I thought I'd show you how I made it. Click any picture for a closer look.
You will need: 1)brad 2)Versamark ink 3) Heat 'n Stick powder 4) glitter 5)tweezers 6) heat tool
Hold the brad with your craft tweezers and tap the end of the brad onto the ink pad.
Dip the inked brad into the Heat 'n Stick powder, being careful to coat only the front of the brad.
Use your heat tool to melt the Heat 'n Stick powder. Melt until clear and sticky.
Dip the brad into the glitter of your choice and tap off excess. The color I used here is Golden Beryl by Martha Stewart.
Heat the brad one last time. This will help seal the glitter into the Heat 'n Stick powder. You can tap off any remaining excess glitter after this step. (Just ask Jack how he got glitter on his face....he kept sniffing the trash can when I'd tap the brad over it. Sparkly dog! LOL!)
Your brad is now ready to attach to your project. I punched a 1/8" hole in the center of my flowers and added the brad. I love how it will match the glittered accents on my card perfectly!
All cardstock is textured and made by DCWV. I bought it at Joann Fabrics. Other accessories are the Simple Alphabet and Polka Dot Basics stamp sets by Papertrey Ink, Versamark ink, Heat 'n Stick powder, flowers by Prima, ticket corner punch by SU! and the Threading Water border punch by Fiskars. The border punch actually gives you a scalloped border plus punches a hole in each scallop. I just scoot the scalloped paper under the edge of the other paper to hide the holes. This way I essentially have two punches in one.
I just LOVE the look of glitter. I think that's why I get so excited when I see things like packages of glittery, glittered accents, etc. However, I still have my GLITTERPHOBE moments. I had one while creating this card. The picture above will show you why! It may look harmless to the naked eye, but if you look REALLY closely you will see that the glitter is stuck on my brush, the lid, the paper and the tray (inside and out). When I tapped the brush over the trash can, the glitter flew everywhere. It is really fine and found its way onto me, the floor, the dog, etc. Well, it made me shiver, then I looked at my card when completed. Ahhhhhhh...so worth it! *giggle*
Hope you like what I shared today. Check back tomorrow for updates on how little Riley's surgeries went and one more project. This one is unique since the card is made from chipboard coasters (I have some now thanks to Lisa! Thank you, Lisa!). See you then!

2 comments:

Lisadwb said...

I have some MS glitter I have not used yet. I need to try it on brads. I want a shirt that says, "I wear my glitter proudly!" LOL I get it EVERYWHERE, and it doesn't help that my little buddy is usually between me and whatever I am applying the glitter to. LOL We always end up getting it on HB and Haileybug too.

Anonymous said...

Too funny, Love this stuff,too! I have the set of torguoise blue (pack of 3) and was using it one night!! Found tons of it in my bed the next morning when I made it!! Must be cause its sooo fine! Love it!!