Sunday, January 25, 2009

Sunday update

Afternoon update:
Irene is receiving Morphine every hour. If anyone touches her she becomes very agitated. Last night she apparently was thrashing in her bed and cut her foot. Connie said today that since Irene is such a classy lady she'd be mortified if she knew how she was acting then. Bless her heart. The infection has apparently taken over and her systems are shutting down. Her white counts are 60,000! They will provide her with comfort care only. Connie said I should just keep doing what I'm doing at home since Irene is in isolation and incoherent. :( Dr. Chawla kept apologizing, but we all know that Irene has suffered long enough and like she always says: "I've had a good life." And, I'll say that my life has been so blessed having known her. It's now just a matter of time until she is gone. Unfortunately, there is nothing that can be done. Just keep us in your prayers, especially Connie.


This was Connie's e-mail at 12:50am:

just got home from the hospital, rough day. Dr. Chawla said basically there is nothing they can do for Irene. Her numbers are high, kidneys are not working. They are giving her morphine every 2 to 4 hours. She's very restless, finally she calmed down & I'm home, going to bed, I'm a little tired. I'll keep you all posted. It's just a waiting game now. Connie

Makes me so sad. I am so glad I saw her on her birthday. I e-mailed Connie to ask if I should come over to see her today and if Irene was coherent at all. I also asked that if she is to "that point", should Hospice care take over and let her pass in peace at home.

Ugh.

No comments: