Sunday, September 6, 2009

Sunday Randomness

Have you ever looked at field corn up close? There are acres of it growing in the fields beside, behind and across from my parents' house. Today as we pulled out of their driveway, the colors of the corn under the bright blue sky just made me want to take some pictures. I love how tall it is, how green the stalks are right now and the velvety cover on each "leaf".
The way the cob grows and the stringy silks peeking out the top is quite fascinating. Those silks aren't quite so fascinating when you are cleaning cobs of sweet corn to devour at dinner. They stick to your hands, the cob and wherever else they land. :) It's neat that this field corn will be used for livestock feed, corn flakes, corn meal and many other corn products you and I eat all the time. I am so grateful for the farmers who grow and harvest what we eat every day.
The tip tops are the same color as my favorite cardstock....KRAFT! I wonder if that's why I like kraft cardstock so much...because it's earthy and I am so fascinated by all things in nature.
One of the blessings and highlights of Summer 2009 is my new love of fresh tomatoes. I only like them chopped in salads, but that's a huge step from only liking processed tomatoes in things like salsa, spaghetti sauce and ketchup. A girl can never have too much ketchup....Heinz that is!! :) I have even craved tomatoes when there were none here to chop in my salad. I found these GORGEOUS ones at Wal-Mart. They are still on the vine and have such a scrumptious bright red hue. Are you hungry yet? Well, keep scrolling and you'll really drool!
This is what I made Kevin for supper tonight. Stuffed french toast. I whisked together fresh cracked eggs, skim milk and vanilla in a shallow dish. Then, I dunked each slice of bread into the mix and placed them in a non-stick pan on medium heat. I think it is better to cook them slower and let the egg really cook through than to pop them in a hot pan and flash fry the outside of the egg mixture. The bread won't be so gooey if you do. I increase the heat as needed while continually flipping the bread pieces in the pan. Ahhh....it gets better. I added fresh sliced bananas, drizzled honey and slapped on some butter between each slice. Top off with more bananas, chopped pecans and drown in syrup. Notice I said DROWN in syrup. Don't you know it's the ONLY way to eat it. *snicker* Ooh...and don't forget the sprinkle of powdered sugar. It's just prettier that way. :)
I only had four slices of white bread, so mine were made with 100% whole wheat bread. Man, were those slices delectable! My belly is super happy right now! :) Ok, just wanna check...you drooling yet? As you can tell, I LOVE food. If you know me, you know I am a slave to good food. My waistline shows it. Ugh. I have to start doing something about that REAL soon.
Ok, while we're talking about food. Mom, Connie and I went to Archivers yesterday for a crop. We left to grab lunch at Chick-Fil-A and this is who we met...their mascot. I about died when I saw this honking cow costume. I scrambled to get my camera in my purse and said "You're such a handsome cow. Can I take your picture?" ha ha Later on, the cow was along the main road waving hungry people in for a yummy chicken sandwich. Chick-Fil-A has awesome chicken sandwiches and waffle fries. Again, my waistline shows just how much I enjoyed my lunch. ha ha
Does this take your breath away in fright? Or, are you completely fascinated like I am ? I am currently working on a scrapbook page to document this awesome wonder I discovered on our light pole in front of our house. I took the picture one night after dark by using the flash and the detail (macro) settings on my camera. The flash bounced off the spider and made him appear white, but look at the web detail I captured. I am just fascinated yet again by God's beauty around me....even if it's a creepy-crawly eight-legged spine-tingling eerie spider. EEK!!! Do you see the two spooky-eyed dogs in the window, too? They were watching Momma when she sneaked out in her jammies to take the picture.
Ok, that's my babble for today. I challenge you to take a look around you. Notice the details of life. And when you discover something that reminds you of how complex this whole world is...don't forget to give thanks to God. He truly is the most magnificent artist! Wow!

No comments: