Monday, May 31, 2010

Message in a Bottle

My niece Julie is in a wedding this summer. The bride lives in Florida, so the bridesmaids are all flying to Florida for a Bachelorette Bash. Neat, huh?! Julie asked me to make a beach-themed invitation for each girl. I came up with a card and a little bottle with a message inside.
The card base is Kraft cardstock. The paper is cut 4"x12", scored at 3" from one end, 4" from the other end. This makes a nice fold with a bit of room left to stamp at the bottom. In the picture, the card looks like a standard A-2 size, but it's not. I stamped a background onto the top flap, the bridesmaid's name on the bottom and inked all the edges with white craft ink. The palm tree is stamped onto a piece of SU!'s wood sheets using brown Staz-On ink. I used the tag corner punch to trim the top corners. I inked the edges of the wood tag with light brown chalk ink and adhered it to the card using Stampin' Dimensionals. The card is finished off with hemp twine and a shell button. The wording for the invitation was printed on the computer and adhered inside.
The bottles were decorated using Scor-tape in two sizes and strips of cardstock (Baja Breeze, Kiwi Kiss, Tangerine Tango). I stamped the palm trees using brown Staz-On ink, punched it out and inked the edges with white craft ink. Lastly, I added some hemp twine and a shell button to the neck of the bottle, put some real shells inside and the "message in a bottle" rolled up and tied with coordinating green fibers. The recipient simply uncorks the bottle to reveal the rolled up message and unties it to read it. Julie was pleased with how they turned out. I was thrilled to be doing a fun project since I have been so mojo-less lately. Click on either picture for a closer look at details...
Thanks for stopping by!

No comments: